Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I guess every superhero need her theme music."

I agree, Kanye, and that's why I've decided to put together a CancerGirl soundtrack including all of the songs that would be the perfect backdrop to kicking some bad guy ass.


"Cochise" by Audioslave

The magic of this song lies solely within the first minute. The buildup between the quiet chaos that begins the song to the screaming lead guitar that joins the building crescendo 48 seconds later is perfect superhero intro music. I remember thinking the first time I heard the song that the lead guitar should signal a tough protagonist's slow-mo "don't-step-outta-line-or-I'll-kick-your-ass" walk out of the foggy darkness of some back alley. Very Christian Bale First Knight vibe but with a chick in thigh-high black leather boots. You get the idea.


"Boys Wanna Be Her" by Peaches

As soon as I thought of CancerGirl, I thought of this song. It's on the soundtrack to Whip It, a movie about a girl joining a roller derby team. It's perfection for superhero status. Lyrics, pounding drums, ragged guitar, panting . . . yes, I said panting. Check it out. "You've got them all by the balls." All girls should love this song.


"Le Disko" by Shiny Toy Guns

I love me some Shiny Toy Guns, especially four years ago. Futuristic superhero? Makes me think of Janet Jackson from the "Scream" video she did with Michael. "Hold on to me, pretty baby, if you wanna fly." I feel like this could also be a laser tag team's theme song. Maybe not be as cool as some other songs I have listed, but I'm sticking with it.


"Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse

While listening to this, you should probably be wielding a supermassive black whip, yes?


"Temptation Waits" by Garbage

"I'll tell you something. I am a wolf, but I like to wear sheep's clothing." Shirley Manson. Now, that's a tough chick. This whole album is unbelievable.


"Teeth" by Lady Gaga

My favorite on The Fame Monster. Stomping and clapping. Get it, Gaga.


"Kiss With a Fist" by Florence + the Machine

Whenever I hear the opening lines, I feel the need to grab the nearest breakable object and throw it as hard as I can against the wall. Needless to say, show caution when choosing where to listen.


"Rock Star" by N.E.R.D.

If you need to feel like a badass, play it. Period.


"The Jump Off" by Lil' Kim

"I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)" by Jay-Z

I believe that every woman needs a Strut Song. A Strut Song is a piece of music that instantly inspires you to stand a little straighter, raise your chin, and narrow your eyes. In short, a song that makes you feel like you are the hottest creature that has ever walked this earth. I put these two together because they are my favorites.


"Power" by Kanye West

Thanks for the blog title. Yes, his ego is more inflated than a hot air balloon, but a superhero needs a superhealthy ego.


"Violet" by Hole

Live Through This is included in my list of the top five albums of all time. It's incredibly gritty and angry, and as far from "ladylike" as you can get. Ms. Love in all of her bruised, baby-doll-dress-wearing glory. It also happens to be my favorite "I'm going to scrub this toilet till it shines like it came from Tiffany's" song. Nothing beats angry cleaning music. And, nothing beats the line, "If you live through this with me, I swear that I would die for you." CancerGirl thanks you, Courtney.


I'd love to hear what would be your choice for superhero theme music. What songs should I add to my playlist?

1 comment:

  1. "Super Soul Sis" by Warren G feat. Jah Skills. One of my favorite lines ever in any song comes at the end of the first verse. After a minute of telling us all the awesome things she can do or has done, she says, "That's how I got the motherfu$$king 'super' on my chest..."

    Great list! I haven't heard half of these songs...I clearly need to expand my listening habits.

    ReplyDelete