Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I love teaching middle school because . . .

one class chuckled when I first told them I was sick. They couldn't believe that a seemingly very healthy, joking, happy-looking person could be that ill. Their honesty was refreshing. When I first heard a doctor tell me that it didn't look good, I wanted to say laugh and say, "This is a joke, right?"

after they realized I wasn't joking, they complimented me. As I was trying to explain that I am very sick even though I don't look it, I told them, "it's very strange for me too because I look pretty healthy, right?" I took a tiny pause between pretty and healthy, and they all started reassuring me. "Yes, you look pretty, Miss Parker." "Very pretty!"

when I asked for a couple students to become my helpers, over half of the kids in each class raised their hands.

they cheered when I told them I don't need chemo. I was never expecting that kind of reaction after updating them on my treatment status, but there was an undeniable sweetness to their excitement. It may have helped that I told them my updated treatment plan would be a win-win for everyone because I'd be a lot less cranky than I originally thought.

they keep me honest. I am currently trying to heal myself as much as possible through supplements and nutrition. This diet change involves no sugar, no alcohol, and no caffeine. The first couple days when I cut out my morning latte were tough. I told the kids that my head was pounding and why, and they obviously took notice. The following day, when I had my Peet's cup, they questioned me relentlessly. "Miss Parker, you're not supposed to have that. I thought you were cutting it out. It's not good for you!" I told them I was weaning myself off a little bit at a time. From a medium to a small, then on to green tea. I then told them if they caught me with a latte at any other point this year, I would give it to a student. As of today, I've officially broken up with Peet.





4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your kids! I know your journey with your healing is teaching them cancer awareness and compassion. Middle school students are very authentic people. Glad you're going with Green now! Big hugs, Suzy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for sharing all this with the kids in such an open, forthright manner. You are teaching them such life lessons from your journey back to health...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of your help and support, Mary!

    ReplyDelete